What is NYSACAC?
The New York State Association for College Admissions Counseling (NYSACAC) is the state affiliate of the National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC), the only professional association composed of members from secondary schools, community-based organizations, colleges and universities. NYSACAC welcomes members who are involved in assisting students in the transition into their post-secondary education.
NYSACAC - with its 1800+ members - is a powerful professional resource. In addition to gaining access to professional development opportunities, members also join a unique community of admissions and counseling professionals working together towards the common goal of helping students achieve post-secondary success.
NYSACAC Vision Statement
NYSACAC is at the forefront of creating leadership and professional development opportunities in college admission counseling.
NYSACAC Mission Statement
The NYSACAC mission outlines our commitment to the students and professionals of New York. NYSACAC is committed to:
- Service the students and families in the transition to post-secondary education.
- Develop, strengthen and support the professionalism of those who provide the information and counseling.
- Promote access and equity in post-secondary education.
- Provide leadership through participation in the development of NACAC policies and practices.
- Promote high professional standards that foster ethical and social responsibilities.
Why Become a Member?
Members enjoy the benefits of affiliation, and being part of the preeminent counseling association in New York State. Membership brings with it access to information and to colleagues who serve as allies and resources.
Members participate in Professional Development Opportunities such as the Annual Conference, Coming Together Conference, Summer Institute, Regional Forums, and the NYS Legislative Forum. Workshops focus on issues of interest to secondary and post-secondary counselors.
- The Annual Conference is one of the largest ACAC events in the country, consistently drawing more than 600 participants each year. The 3-day event is the highlight of NYSACAC's professional development year.
- The Coming Together Conference provides workshops and programming specifically targeted to professionals working with underserved students.
- NYSACAC coordinates a series of one-day Regional Forums each spring on college and university campuses throughout the state.
- NYSACAC partners with 8 other organizations- including CUNY, SUNY and The College Board- through the NYS Legislative Forum to advocate on behalf of New York's students and institutions. Members also participate in NACACs Legislative Forum in D.C.
- Summer Institute offers an intensive 4-day program for new admissions and counseling professionals.
- Members are eligible to apply for NYSACAC-sponsored scholarships to the Annual Conference, Coming Together Conference, NYS Legislative Forums and the Summer Institute.
- Members receive the NYSACAC newsletter three times per year, and also receive frequent communications via mail and e-mail. NYSACAC assists its members in staying apprized of trends, events and issues in the profession.
- Members have access to information through the "members only" section of the NYSACAC web site.
- Membership Directory with a searchable database of colleagues and member institutions.
- Mapping functions between one member school to another. This is a great resource for planning and organizing high school visits.
- Members have access to NYSACAC colleagues who are available for presentations and workshop events. NYSACAC is in the process of developing a formal speakers' bureau.
Working for Students and Families
- NYSACAC works with NACAC to produce five NACAC National College Fairs each year. Host sites include Buffalo, Long Island, New York City, Rochester, and Syracuse. In 2015, more than 40,000 students participated in the program.
- NYSACAC partners with cIcu, HESC, and other organizations to sponsor Camp College programs each summer. The programs offer underrepresented students the chance to explore their college options and gain valuable experiences on a college campus.
- NYSACAC works with The College Board and HESC to support students in the NY GEAR UP program. NYSACAC members serve as mentors and presenters in NY GEAR UP schools and at state and regional conferences.